Thursday, April 17, 2014

Love is Not A Race

One of the most mind boggling things that I can think of is marriage. Like, marriage is so far beyond what I can really comprehend. We all seem to look at it too lightly, and that's not necessarily anybody's fault, that's just the way marriage is portrayed. You can watch a two hour movie and at the end a couple gets married.

THAT'S SO FAST.

Getting married is a huge milestone for anyone. It's something that people look forward to their whole lives. 

"I'm going to find my Prince Charming and we shall be wed."

I feel like a lot of people, especially where I live, just say "Oh I'm going to come back from my mission and I'm going to get married." 

This isn't against religion or anything, but WHAT? 

Just like that, you're going to come back from your mission and just get married? It sounds a little arranged.

I thought we didn't do that kind of thing anymore.

According to basically everyone I know, my view of marriage is very different than that of my peers and my community.

I don't think you should plan when you'll get married. Yes, you will find the one and you will PLAN WHEN YOU GET MARRIED.

Not my point. <=== (Get it? The period is a point? Anyways...)

The way I view relationships and love is in this simple phrase, and if you know me, you've heard it. "You should find someone that loves spending time with you as much as you love spending time with them. But in a romantic way."

Love can appear out of nowhere, but that doesn't mean love WILL pop out of nowhere. Nothing that is even remotely affiliated with love is planned or forced. Every single married couple I've talked to has told me that they never expected to fall in love with their spouse. They didn't plan love.

And if you try to force love, I guarantee you it WILL come back and bite you in the ass. The world just doesn't work that way.

I do believe everybody can fall in love. I believe everyone will fall in love. Maybe even more than once or twice. 

I'm going to leave you to think about it this way. Love is kind of like running around a track in P.E. 

You can run really REALLY fast. And you'll finish first. And then you're done. (You're married, you'll have kids, anniversaries, yadda yadda yadda.)

But you know those kids in P.E. who just walk? And they take their time? They still finish just like everyone else. (Longer time, same ending)

Love is not a race.

Love,

-Bennett

2 comments: