Monday, February 16, 2015

2+3 Doesn't Equal Love

People say they want to fall in love with somebody
Or someone
Like its some easy fun thing that we all get to do down the line

Well let me tell you, based off my experience and every single Nicholas Spark's movie I've watched, it's just not.

Ask anyone who's been in love and say
"Is it easy?"
And I guarantee they will say
"No, it's not easy-peasy lemon-squeezy."
Because nobody talks like that and love does not work like that.

And as much as I want to be in love
And have that one person I can run to
And say to them "Your embrace fits me like a glove"
I have watched too many of my friends get their hearts broken to think love is fun.

Because girl, I know you love him
And boy, I know you love her
But unless you aren't afraid to be a fighter,
You can never be a lover.

Because love is about risk
And it's about give and take
And if you can not do any of the above
Then LOVE IS FAKE

I see people who write letters and poems
And I'm not excluding me
But we all act as if love is some thing that is free of charge, 
Free of hurt and free of sorrow

And if I'm wrong, you can tell me that tomorrow, 
But right now, what I'm writing down 
And what I'm saying to you is that love is not fun

The greatest expression of love is sex,
But pretty much everybody in the world looks at sex and says "Wow that's fun"
And if love is fun, take a gun and put a bullet in my head because I do not want to be lied to by society AGAIN.

I know that love is great, it makes you feel like you can accomplish anything at any rate
But they don't tell you about heartbreak
They only tell you about destiny and fate

They tell you that love is a paste
That can fix all the cracks
And that love is the opposite of hate, 
But do you know how many times I've heard someone say "I hate that I love them?"

Or maybe we just always seem to
Run out of luck
Because the universe always seems to say
"I don't give a fuck about your feelings"

Or maybe everyone's version of love
Doesn't add up
Because 2+3 doesn't equal 4
And feeling and concern doesn't equal love anymore!

Love is too complex to be fun
Because we base too much of it on
Maybellinne girls and Victoria's Secret products

Because according to everyone in the world,
Love is based on:
The clothes you wear,
The people you interact with,
The religion you are,
The color of your skin,
The kind of phone you have
The color of your hair
How much money you have
What body type you have
"How far you're willing to go"
What weight you are
What you eat
What you drink
Where you live
Where you sleep

It's never about the dreams you have
Or why you dream them
How you would be willing to catch someone instead of letting them fall
If that isn't love, then why do we love at all?

Nobody thinks about the real things.
Because nobody wants to
And you might say "Ardon, you're a pessimist,"
But I dare you to tell me it's not true.

Love isn't fun.
Or easy.

Because it hurts
Because love is real and 
Nobody really thinks about that,
Do they?

I've always wanted to help my friends understand this 
And all I say is that it isn't easy.
It will never be easy-peasy lemon-squeezy 

Because nobody talks like that.

And love does not work like that.

5 comments:

  1. I have watched too many of my friends get their hearts broken to think love is fun.

    Im going to put that up on my wall. No joke.

    It's never about the dreams you have
    Or why you dream them
    How you would be willing to catch someone instead of letting them fall
    If that isn't love, then why do we love at all?

    This is beautiful. All too true.

    Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This hurts. But it's so real that I want to punch a wall. Seriously this might be my favorite post you have ever written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OEISDJFNSKDHBOISUENKSJE
    the thoughts you just gave me are fathomless

    ReplyDelete