Monday, February 2, 2015

To Nelson

Mr. Nelson,

Thank you

Allow me to elaborate on that. I want to thank you for affecting me and changing my life.

Allow me to elaborate on that. I want to thank you for affecting and changing my life in almost an indirect way. You see, I've never taken one of your creative writing classes. I wish I could have, but I never did, but still, you managed to change my life so much.

Pretty much all of the people I know who I actually consider to be my friends have taken your creative writing class at some point. Needless to say, they all loved it and came away from it changed people. The moment I started to realize what an actual impact you make in students lives is when I came to SFYS last year. The turnout was absolutely incredible, the amount of people who shared their writings was astounding, and there were absolutely no bad vibes in that auditorium and it made me think "This is what life is supposed to be like."

Because absolutely nobody who was there that night could tell me that they disagreed with anything or that they weren't moved by some part of it. Nobody could tell me that the feeling in that room is the ideal feeling that everyone seeks in the world. And you absolutely did it. 

I've had the privilege of knowing some of the "greats" from creative writing, past and present. I know Dominic Zappala, Baylee Dodge, Trevor Elzey, Sawyer Young, Jack Hoffer, and Hailey Brooks. All writers who constantly prove themselves on a daily basis that they deserve to go down in (at least) Lone Peak Creative Writing History. And if it wasn't for you, Mr. Nelson, I wouldn't have this wonderful blog that I write in. 

You gave me a place to go to when nobody else would understand. Where nobody I know would listen, but a place where anonymous people take time out of their lives to read and say "I understand. I relate. This speaks to me." And there you go again changing lives through me. Through all of your students. 

I spoke during your A4 slam at the end of the semester and that was one of the only times in my life where I stood in front of a group of people and could say "Wow, everyone actually gives a shit about what I'm saying." Which is a big deal, because I've been laughed off stage, I've been booed at, and just plain ignored. But you gave me a place where I could just know that I wouldn't be laughed at. Or booed. But instead "uh'd" at in support by my best friends.

Look, I don't know if you'll ever see this, and if you do, who knows if it'll be in the near future? Maybe you'll see this ten years from now. Maybe never. But I've always wanted to say this to you but I figure saying this all in person would be a little weird coming from someone you don't know. Anyways, just know that as long as you're teaching, lives will always be changed.

Thank you, from the absolute bottom of my heart.

-Ardon Smith (Bennett Franklin)

2 comments: