Thursday, May 1, 2014

You Don't Need to Love Me

(First off, let me say that this is inspired by the song "You Don't Need to Love Me" from a new musical called "If/Then")

Look, just because I have feelings doesn't mean they're going to be reciprocated. I know that. I know it too well.

But allow me to explain to you what "Love" means. The (ninth) dictionary definition of the word "Love" is an "affectionate concern for the well-being of others"

Yeah, I might love you, and yeah I might want a relationship, but at the end of the day I just want you to be happy.


I don't need you to buy me gifts.

I don't need you to kiss me.

I don't need you to need me.

I don't need you to love me.

What I do need from you though... The one thing I NEED from you is permission to love you.

I don't give a damn about my feelings, because the most important thing in the world to me are YOUR FEELINGS. Yeah, I say I'm depressed all the time, and yeah my feelings might be important, but your feelings mean the world. Because I. LOVE. YOU. 

Yeah, I tell people I love them all the time. I love them too.

But this is so much different.

I don't need you to be my best friend.

I don't need you to cry on my shoulder.

I don't need you to let me be your rock.

I don't need you to put on that ring I bought you.

Nothing matters EXCEPT YOU and I'm legitimately and literally crying while I'm writing this post because it means THAT MUCH TO ME.

It hurts when you say you're not beautiful.

It hurts when you say that you're sad.

It hurts that you're far away.

It hurts me that I love you.

It hurts me to stick it out.

But you know what? It doesn't matter. You matter. Because I love you.

You don't need to say "I love you"

You don't need to cry for me.

You don't need to include me.

You don't have to have me be the only thing on your mind.

You don't need to love me the way I love you.

But what I do need is permission to love you. Because you know that light at the end of the tunnel everyone talks about? That beam of hope? I don't need you to love me back, but I do need permission to love you, because that is my light at the end of the tunnel.

You don't need to love me.

Love,

-Bennett

1 comment: