Sunday, March 23, 2014

The Night I Danced With a Paraplegic

Here's something you might not know about me...

I hate school dances.

I don't hate them because I hate dancing or because I hate big smelly rooms full of high school kids trying to grind on each other. NO. It's not that.

(Actually it is that.)

But I got the opportunity to go to a school dance one day! It was so long ago that I'm surprised I remember. It was way back when.

It was last week.

Anyways, it was a girl's choice dance, so I got asked by this really nice, fun, and pretty girl. She asked me in that Utah way where you have to ask someone in this elaborate way. I'm sorry, but why is that a thing? Can't we all just nervously go up to someone and say "Um... Can you... Maybe... If you wanted... There's this thing... Where you go into... A... Gym and just... Uh... Dance?"

Where have our roots gone?


So, anyways, we went to dinner (which was way nice and fun) and then we drove over to the dance. Oh, by the way, our driver almost killed us.

Can I just say that I need to exercise more? I danced through a song and I almost died afterwards. ONE GODDAMN SONG and I was already out for the count!

But anyways, we were at the dance, and I started to slowly realize that this would not be like any other dance I had ever been to. The thing was, my date couldn't dance... Or walk.

Well, she could, but she was in a wheelchair for the dance. She got surgery on her legs or something like that, and I remember her telling me that "The reason I'm walking like this is because I just barely got surgery." And I replied "Well, are going to be able to dance at the school dance this week?" And she said "Oh crap! I totally forgot about that!"

I felt two things when she told me that.

1. YESSSSS I DONT HAVE TO DANCE AT THE DANCE! I hate dancing. Not that I don't love BIG SMELLY ROOMS FULL OF HIGH SCHOOL KIDS TRYING TO GRIND ON EACH OTHER. No, it's not that, but school dances have just never been my strong suit.

2. Aww man. This really kind of sucks. She's a great dancer and I don't want her to miss out! She may not be able to walk now, but when she can dance, she can bust a move!

Regardless, we went to the dance and we asked for a wheelchair. The school principal was more than happy to help, and we were graciously accommodated. 

So we're just dancing to Lady Gaga or One Direction or something (every other song), and we're having a great time. Then "I Wont Give Up" comes on, and that song is pretty much the epitome of songs you slow dance to. 

There was a moment where we both thought "Well what are we going to do about this?" 

My first impulse was just to grab her hands and step side to side. So I did that, but... Then I realized something. Even though she had no real strength to dance with her legs, she danced harder and had a lot more fun than half the people at the dance. Even though she was in pain every time someone bumped into her legs, or every time she walked after her surgery, she still found a way to put a beautiful smile on her face. I was so grateful to experience this, because it really made me believe that people who had REAL strength existed. That made me really happy.

The fact that half the people there gave her a lap dance was really funny too. 

Thanks again,

-Bennett

1 comment: