Friday, May 26, 2017

An Ode to Shakespeare

"You're a good kid,"
She said.
"Fuck you."
I said in my head.

Whoa.
Why?
I want.
To die.

Why would I cry when I can just die?
"To be or not to be," is some bullshit
Thanks Shakespeare for yet again
Putting yourself on another pulpit

While making ourselves the culprits
Of our own suppression and depression
Hamlet wanted to kill himself
"To be or not to be that is the question."

And he says that
Not as an act of submission
But rather a realization.

What does that mean?
I don't know.
It means something to me
So it has to mean something to you.

To want to die and to want to stop living
Are two completely different things
The end justifies the means
But please believe me when I say

FUCK YOU.

Romeo and Juliet kill themselves
Just because of bad timing
If they had waited five minutes
Then they wouldn't have had to suffer through
DYING.

And they call our generation impatient.

Even Pyramus and Thisbe die.
WHY?
Where is the lie?
Look Shakespeare, I'm just trying.
Trying to understand why everyone has to die.

Or why everyone has to live.
It's so easy to give in.
Because this world isn't easy to live in.

Maybe that's what he was saying all along.
It's not about living or dying.
We all die eventually.
It's about the choice.
It's about choosing to power on.

Even if there's aches and cramps
Broken lamps, broken hearts
Broken limbs, broken parts
Broken starts, broken restarts
Broken... Anything.

To live or not to live.
To choose or not to choose.
To be or not to be.

That is the question.

1 comment: